WMOF2018 DAY THREE - Thursday 23 August - Pastoral Congress in the RDS
Theme – The Family and Love
10:00 - 11:00 Major Panel 1
When Plates Fly: Pope Francis on the Reality of Love in Family Life.
(Hall 8C) – EN 🎧 IT, ES, FR
Moderator: H. E. Cardinal Joseph Tobin, Archbishop of Newark, USA.
• Maruska and Eugene Smith, CANA, Ireland
• Leigh and Steve Baumann, Retrouvaille International, USA and Canada
• Leon Botolo Magoza and Marie Valentine Kisanga Sosawe, Democratic Republic of Congo
• Daniel and Shelley Ee, Worldwide Marriage Encounter, Singapore
10:00 - 11:00 Panel 1:
Love made Fruitful: Amoris Laetitia on Cherishing the Gift of New Life.
(Hall 8A) – EN 🎧 FR
Moderator: Archbishop Eamon Martin, Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland.
• Dr. Helen Watt, Anscombe Bioethics Centre, Oxford, England
• Julia Dezelski, Assistant Director for Marriage and Family, Laity at USCCB, USA
• Brett Lockhart QC, Barrister, Ireland (North)
10:00 - 11:00 Panel 2:
Handing on the Faith between the Generations: The Role of Grandparents.
(Hall 3) – EN 🎧ES, IT
Moderator: Anna May McHugh, Managing Director, National Ploughing Championships, Ireland.
• Catherine Wiley, Catholic Grandparents Association, International
• Sarah and Declan O’Brien, Focolare Movement, Ireland
• Caterina and Angelo Russo, Pastoral Care Team, Diocese of Naples, Italy
10:00 - 11:00 Panel 3:
Supporting Newly-Married Couples in the Parish.
(Dodder B) – EN
Description: A workshop facilitated by ACCORD Catholic Marriage Care Service, Ireland who provide marriage preparation courses for couples choosing to get married in the Catholic Church in Ireland. The parish community, life by sharing their own married experiences, can be a major source of support to young couples adjusting to marriage and family. In helping couples to recognise the challenges and sharing in their joys and blessings, parish community members can enrich their own lives and that of newly married couples.
• Denis Bradley, ACCORD, Ireland.
• Aileen Hicks, ACCORD, Ireland.
10:00 - 11:00 Panel 4:
The Joys and Challenges of Parenting Today.
(Hall 8B) EN 🎧 IT, ES
Moderator: Kate Liffey, National Director for Catechetics, Irish Bishops Conference.
• Julieann Moran, World Missions, Ireland
• José Luis Mendoza Peréz, President of San Antonio Catholic University, Spain
• Lisa and Brian Harmon, Cana, Ireland
• Prof. Maria and Giovanni Salerno, New Families Movement, Focolare Movement, Italy
10:00 - 11:00 Presentation 1:
Pope Francis on the Revolution of Tenderness.
(Hall 2) – EN 🎧 IT, ES, FR
Presenter: H. E. Cardinal Oscar Andres Rodriquez Maradiaga, Archbishop of Honduras.
10:00 - 11:00 Presentation 2:
A Hidden Treasure: The Theology of the Body of Saint John Paul II.
(Hall 8D) – EN 🎧 IT
Speaker: Rocco Buttiglione, John Paul II Professor of Philosophy and History of European Institutions, Pontifical Lateran University, Rome, Italy.
10:30 - 11:30 Panel 5:
Human Trafficking: “An Open Wound on the body of Contemporary Society” (Pope Francis)
(Hall 7) – EN 🎧 ES, IT
Headline Speaker: Kevin Hyland OBE, Santa Marta initiative and former head of the Metropolitan Police Service’s Human Trafficking Unit.
Description: A look at how human trafficking pervades contemporary society: global and family responses required for healing. Please Note: Due to the sensitive nature of the topics covered in this session, only over 18s are permitted to attend this panel discussion.
• Ann Mara, MECPATHS
• Sr Mary Ryan, APT
• Mia DeFaoite, LLM
• JP O’Sullivan, MECPATHS
• Anne Kelleher, APT
• Máirin McDonagh, APT
• Mia DeFaoite, LLM
• Sarah Benson, Ruhama
11:30 - 12:30 Major Panel 2:
The Dignity and Beauty of Sexual Love: Finding New Language for Ancient Truths.
(Hall 8C) – EN. 🎧 IT, ES FR
Moderator: H.E. Cardinal Blase Cupich, Archbishop of Chicago, USA.
• Dr. Lynette and Bosco McShane, Síolta, Ireland
• Jose De Jesús Magana Martinez and Pilar Arango, VIVE, Columbia
• Barbara Duff, ACCORD, Ireland
11:30 - 12:30: Panel:
Personal Formation for Marriage Counselling and Facilitation: Lay Leadership in the post-Millennial Age.
Merrion Room - EN
• Bishop Lionel Gendron, Diocese of Saint-Jean-Longueuil, Canada
• Dr. Elizabeth Davies, Marriage Care, England
• Fran Watson, Marriage Care, England
11:30 - 12:30 Panel 1:
Celebrating Family and Sport
(Hall 2) – EN 🎧 ES, IT, FR
Moderator: Fr. Philip Mulryne OP, Dominican Priest and Former Manchester United Player, Ireland.
• Ronan O’Gara, Former Lions and IRFU Player, Ireland and NZ
• Olive Foley, Widow of Anthony Foley, Munster Rugby, Ireland
• Aidan O’Mahoney, Kerry GAA, Ireland
• Bishop Paul Tighe, Secretary for the Pontifical Council for Culture
11:30 - 12:30 Panel 4:
Pope Francis on the Vocation of Fatherhood.
(Hall 8B) – EN
Moderator: Bishop Alan McGuckian, Diocese of Raphoe, Ireland
• Mickey Harte, Manager of Tyrone Gaelic Football Team, Ireland (North)
• Patrick E Kelly, Deputy Supreme Knight of the Knights of Columbus, USA
• Peter O’Brien, Parent of Special Olympics Athlete, Ireland
11:30 - 12:30 Panel 5:
Faith, Family and Development: The Witness of Women in Leadership.
(Hall 3) – EN 🎧 IT, ES
Moderator: Dr. Carolyn Woo, (Retired) CEO and President, Catholic Relief Services
Description: Panel of experts and partners of Trócaire (Caritas Ireland) will speak to the theme of how women are the key to unlocking the potential of developing countries around the world. Trócaire's Women's Empowerment programme strives to ensure that the women and girls they work with around the world have a voice in decisions that affect their lives, within their homes, communities, and beyond, and that they are free from violence.
• Jestina Mukoko, Zimbabwe Peace Project, Zimbabwe
• Finola Finnan, Deputy Executive Director, Trócaire, Ireland
• Yvonne Aki-Sawyer OBE, Mayor of Freetown, Sierra Leone
• Sr Bridget Tighe, Executive Director, Caritas Jerusalem
• Sally O’Neill, Human Rights Defender, Honduras
11:30 - 12:30 Panel 6:
Marriage Preparation and the Parish in the Light of Amoris Laetitia.
(Hall 8D) – EN 🎧 ES
Presenters: Caroline Dollard, Marriage & Life Advisor, Catholics Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales and Bishop Peter Doyle, Bishop of Northampton
Description: An interactive workshop facilitated by the Marriage and Family Life Office, Bishops Conference of England & Wales, UK.
11:30 – 12:30 Presentation 3:
Showing Welcome and Respect in our Parishes for ‘LGBT’ People and their Families.
(Hall 8A) – EN 🎧 IT, ES, FR
Fr James Martin S.J., Editor-at-large, Jesuit Magazine America
12:00 – 13:00 Panel 3:
Vocational Discernment and the Family: Preparing for the Youth Synod, 2018.
(Hall 7). EN 🎧 IT, ES, FR
Moderator: Mons. Paolo Giulietti, Auxiliary Bishop of Perugia-Città della Pieve, Italy.
Description: A facilitated discussion on youth ministry amongst individuals who took part in the pre-synod consultation. A particular focus on how the family plays a central role in supporting vocations of all varieties amongst youth and enabling young people to live their lives to the fullest of their potential.
• Teresa Carvalho, Home Mission Development Officer, Catholic Bishops Conference of England and Wales, UK
• Paul Metzlaff, National Office for Youth Pastoral Care, Germany
• Gerard Gallagher, Pastoral Co-Ordinator, Archdiocese of Dublin, Ireland
• Isaac Withers, Representative of Bishop’s Conference of England and Wales at Synod 2018
• Rev. Dr. Michel Remery, Author of ‘Tweeting with God’, Diocese of Rotterdam, The Netherlands
• Sr Nathalie Becquart, National Service for Youth Evangelization and Vocations, Bishop’s Conference, France
(All participants - adults, children and families - come together in the Family Arena)
14:30MAIN ARENA KEYNOTE SPEAKER
EN 🎧 IT, ES, FR
H.E. Cardinal Vincent Nichols, Archbishop of Westminster, England.
Theme: Support and Preparation for Marriage in the Light of Amoris Laetitia.
EN 🎧 IT, ES, FR
Theme: Couples celebrating 25, 50, 60+ years of Marriage.
Family Arena MC: Paula Sweeney, Ireland
• Cathal and Aveen Reilly
• Gerry Flaherty
• Piers and Sue Segrave-Daly, Ireland
• Ita and John Madden, Ireland
16:30 CELEBRATION OF MASS IN MAIN ARENA
EN 🎧 IT, ES, FR
H.E. Cardinal João Braz de Aviz, Prefect of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life.
Theme: Love Endures All Things: Why Strong Marriages make Stronger Societies.
19:00 - 20:00 Major Panel 3
Care for our Common Home: Why the Family Matters to the Future of our Planet.
(Hall 8C) - EN 🎧 ES, IT, FR
Moderator: H.E. Cardinal Charles Maung Bo, SDB, Archbishop of Yangon, Myanmar.
Description: An interactive seminar based upon the themes in Laudato Si’. This seminar will comprise of stories, music, national and international speakers acknowledging the urgency of our environmental challenges and joining Pope Francis in calling for a new dialogue and vision for the environment and the future of our planet.
Keynote Address: H.E. Cardinal Charles Maung Bo, SDB, Archbishop of Yangon, Myanmar.
• Deirdre Duff, Fossil Free Campaigner and organizer for Friends of the Earth and Medact
• Dr Lorna Gold, Trócaire, Ireland
• Éamonn Meehan, Executive Director, Trócaire, Ireland
• Prof. John Sweeney, Climatologist, Maynooth University
• Carsterns Mulume, Director of Social Development, Episcopal Conference of Malawi
• Juan Carlos Mendoza, UN Convention to Combat Dessertification, Colombia
• Discovery Gospel Choir
19:00 – 20:00 Panel:
Who is Doing the Dishes? Pope Francis on the Little Things that Matter in Family Life.
(Hall 8D) - EN 🎧 ES
Moderator: Bairbre Cahill, Freelance writer and speaker on spirituality and sacramentality, Ireland
• Dr Ingeborg and Richard Sickinger, The Apostolic Movement of Schoenstatt, Austria
• Monika Kowalczyk and Szymon Szylko, Polish Encounter of Married Couples, Ireland
• Máire and Bill O’Brien, Worldwide Marriage Encounter
19:00 - 20:00 Panel 1:
Coping with Crises and Hurt in Marriage.
(Hall 8A) - EN. 🎧 ES, IT, FR
Moderator: Deirdre O’ Rawe, Director of ACCORD Ireland (North).
• Sallyann and Torbjorn Huss, Retrouvaille, Ireland
• Stephen Conway, Retrouvaille, South Africa
• Carlos Compoy Osset, Diocese of Toledo, Spain
• Mary Johnston, ACCORD, Ireland
19:00 - 20:00 Panel 2:
The Lifeblood of any Relationship is Communication
(Merrion Room) – EN
Presenters: Paddy Doherty and Margaret Norman, ACCORD, Ireland
Description: Effective communication skills are fundamental to success in a happy and healthy marriage. Good communication is a key interpersonal skill and involves trust and acceptance. Exploring how to better communicate with each other, how our individual and family backgrounds influence the way we communicate allows relationships to grow and develop.
19:00 - 20:00 Panel 3:
Insights into Adolescents.
(Hall 3) - EN 🎧 ES, IT
Presenter: Anita Conlan, ACCORD, Ireland.
Description: An interactive workshop on supporting teenagers in their journey through relationships and sexuality in a digital age. This workshop is based upon an RSE programme run in schools by ACCORD Catholic Marriage Care. It mirrors a talk for parents which allows them to have a “fly on the wall” view of what their teenagers really want to talk about. Aims to get a clearer insight into what teenagers’ views are on subjects such as drug/alcohol use, attitudes to sex, unplanned pregnancy, sexuality and lots more.
19:00 - 20:00 Panel 4:
The Family of Families: The Experience of Catholic Families in Africa.
(Hall 8B) - EN
Facilitators: Representatives of the Aid to the Church in Need programme with Catholic families from Africa.
Description: Pope Francis, in Amoris Laetitia, describes the Church as the ‘Family of Families’. In this interactive workshop we listen to the stories of faith and family from Catholics in Africa, through the initiatives supported by the Pontifical Foundation, Aid to the Church in Need International. Frederick & Salome Olweny, Gabriel Kissala, Longine Dienda Mupuelengi, David & Catherine Livingstone.
• Frederick and Salome Olweny, Kenya
• Gabriel Kissala, Democratic Republic of Congo
• Longine Dienda Mupuelengi, Democratic Republic of Congo
• David & Catherine Livingston, Uganda
19:00 - 20:00 Presentation 1
Turning Technology to the Greater Good: Faith, Family & Technology.
(Hall 2) – EN. 🎧 ES, IT, FR
Presenter: Dr Mary Aiken, Adjunct Associate Professor Geary Institute for Public Policy, UCD and Academic Advisor for Europol European Cybercrime Centre, Ireland.
Description: An interactive presentation on turning technology to the good in our world and in our homes.
19:00 - 20:00 Presentation 2
Grace Before Meals: Recipes to Strengthen Family Life.
(Hall 7) EN 🎧 ES
Presenter: Fr Leo Patalinghug, Priest, Chef and Author, USA.
Description: Fr. Leo cooks up a dish that will bring families to the table, which is the Domestic Church's "altar." Statistics show how a regular family meal can help strengthen family life while also helping them to cope and manage all of the struggles a modern family experience. This interactive, entertaining and very educational conversation will also be presented with a savoury recipe "penne dish" which a few special guests will have a chance to sample!
19.00 – 20.00 Presentation 3
The Journey from Addiction: What Families can Learn from the Life of Venerable Matt Talbot
(Dodder B) EN
Presenter: Fr Brian Lawless
Please note that this information is subject to change.