WMOF2018 DAY THREE - Thursday 23 August - Pastoral Congress in the RDS
Theme – The Family and Love
Business Breakfast - Women, Leadership and Business: a Family Perspective.
Please note: the Business Breakfast lectures are not included in the Pastoral Congress Registration. To attend this event you must book separately. Places are limited. Click here for more information.
Major Panel 1:
Theme: When Plates Fly: Pope Francis on the Reality of Love in Family Life.
Moderator: H. E. Cardinal Joseph Tobin, Archbishop of Newark, USA.
- Maruska and Eugene Smith, CANA, Ireland
- Leigh and Steve Baumann, Retrouvaille International, USA and Canada
- Leon Botolo Magoza and Marie Valentine Kisanga Sosawe, Democratic Republic of Congo
- Daniel and Shelley Ee, Worldwide Marriage Encounter, Singapore
Major Panel 2:
Theme: The Dignity and Beauty of Sexual Love: Finding New Language for Ancient Truths.
Moderator: H. E. Cardinal Blase Cupich, Archbishop of Chicago, USA.
- Dr. Lynette and Bosco McShane, Síolta, Ireland
- Jose De Jesus Magana Martinez and Pilar Arengo
- Representative of ACCORD, Ireland
Panels (Session 1, AM):
Theme:Love made Fruitful: Amoris Laetitia on Cherishing the Gift of New Life.
Moderator: Archbishop Eamon Martin, Archbishop of Armagh and Primate of All Ireland.
- Dr. Helen Watt, Anscombe Bioethics Centre, Oxford, England
- Julia Dezelski, Assistant Director for Marriage and Family, Laity at USCCB, USA
- Brett Lockhart QC, Barrister, Ireland (North)
Theme: Handing On the Faith between the Generations: The Role of Grandparents.
Moderator: Anna May McHugh, Managing Director, National Ploughing Championships, Ireland.
- Catherine Wiley, Catholic Grandparents Association, International
- Sarah and Declan O’Brien, Focolare Movement, Ireland
- Caterina and Angelo Russo, Pastoral Care Team, Diocese of Naples, Italy
Theme: Supporting Newly Married Couples in the Parish.
Description: A workshop facilitated by ACCORD Catholic Marriage Care Service, Ireland who provide marriage preparation courses for couples choosing to get married in the Catholic Church in Ireland.
Theme: The Joys and Challenges of Parenting Today.
Moderator: Kate Liffey, National Director for Catechetics, Irish Bishops Conference.
- Julieann Moran, World Missions, Ireland
- Jose Luis Mendoza Perez, President of San Antonio Catholic University, Spain
- Lisa and Brian Harmon, Cana, Ireland
- Prof. Maria and Gianni Salerno, New Families Movement, Focolare Movement, Italy
Theme: Human Trafficking: "An open wound on the body of contemporary society'"(Pope Francis).
Headline Speaker: Kevin Hyland OBE, Santa Marta initiative and former head of the Metropolitan Police Service’s Human Trafficking Unit.
Description: A look at how human trafficking pervades contemporary society: global and family responses required for healing.
- Ann Mara
- Mary Ryan and Mairin McDongh, APT
- Kevin Hyland OBE
- Mia DeFaoite LLM
- JP O’Sullivan, MECPATHS
- Representative of Ruhama
Theme: Who is Doing the Dishes: Pope Francis on the Little Things that Matter in Family Life.
- Dr Ingeborg and Richard Sickinger, The Apostolic Movement of Schoenstatt, Austria
- Monika Kowalczyk and Szymon Szylko, Polish Encounter of Married Couples, Ireland
- Máire and Bill O’Brien, Focolare Movement, Ireland
Theme: Vocational Discernment and the Family: Preparing for the Youth Synod, 2018.
Moderator: Mons. Paolo Giulietti, Auxiliary Bishop of Perugia-Città della Pieve, Italy.
Description: A facilitated discussion on youth ministry amongst individuals who took part in the pre-synod consultation. A particular focus on how the family plays a central role in supporting vocations of all varieties amongst youth and enabling young people to live their lives to the fullest of their potential.
- Teresa Carvalho, Home Mission Development Officer, Catholic Bishops Conference of England and Wales, UK
- Paul Metzlaff, National Office for Youth Pastoral Care, Germany
- Gerard Gallagher, Office of Evangelisation and Ecumenism, Archdiocese of Dublin, Ireland
- Isaac Withers, Representative of Bishop’s Conference of England and Wales at Synod 2018
- Rev Dr. Michel Remery, Author of ‘Tweeting with God’, Diocese of Rotterdam, The Netherlands
- Sr Nathalie Becquart, National Service for Youth Evangelization and Vocations, Bishop’s Conference, France
Theme: Pope Francis on the Vocation of Fatherhood.
Moderator: Bishop Alan McGuckian, Diocese of Raphoe, Ireland
- Mickey Harte, Manager of Tyrone Gaelic Football Team, Ireland (North)
- Patrick E Kelly, Deputy Supreme Knight of the Knights of Columbus, USA
- Peter O’Brien, Special Olympics, Ireland
Theme: Faith, Family and Development: The Witness of Women in Leadership.
Moderator: Dr. Carolyn Woo, Distinguished President’s Fellow for Global Development at Purdue University, USA.
Description: Panel of experts and partners of Trócaire (Caritas Ireland) will speak to the theme of how women are the key to unlocking the potential of developing countries around the world. Trócaire's Women's Empowerment programme strives to ensure that the women and girls they work with around the world have a voice in decisions that affect their lives, within their homes, communities, and beyond, and that they are free from violence.
- Jestina Mukoko, Human rights activist and director of the Zimbabwe Peace Project, Zimbabwe
- Bishop Lionel Gendron, Bishop of Saint-Jean-Longueuil and President of the Conference of Catholic Bishops, Canada
- Finola Finnan, Deputy Executive Director, Trócaire, Ireland
- Partners of Trócaire from Overseas
- Sister Bridget Tighe, Executive Director, Caritas Jerusalem
Theme: Marriage Preparation and the Parish in the Light of Amoris Laetitia.
Moderator: Caroline Dollard, Marriage & Life Advisor, Catholics Bishops’ Conference of England and Wales.
Description: An interactive workshop by the Marriage and Family Life Office, Bishops Conference of England & Wales.
Individual Speakers/Presentations (AM):
Theme: Pope Francis on the Revolution of Tenderness.
Presenter: H.E. Cardinal Oscar Andres Rodriquez Maradiaga, Archbishop of Honduras.
Theme: A Hidden Treasure: The Theology of the Body of Saint John Paul II.
Speaker: Rocco Buttiglione, John Paul II Professor of Philosphy and History of European Institutions, Pontifical Lateran University, Rome, Italy.
Theme: Showing Welcome and Respect in our Parishes for LGBTQI+ People and their Families.
Presenter: Fr James Martin S.J., Editor-at-large, Jesuit Magazine America
Theme: Spicing Up Our Married Life: Satisfying Couples Hunger for True Love
Speaker: Fr Leo Patalinghug. US Priest, Chef & Author.
Description: Cooking Demonstration and talk with Faith & Family theme.
(All participants come together in the Main Arena)
MAIN ARENA KEYNOTE SPEAKER
H.E. Cardinal Vincent Nichols, Archbishop of Westminster, England.
Theme: Support and preparation for marriage in the light of Amoris Laetitia.
Followed by 30 minutes of testimony:
Couples celebrating 25, 50, 60 years of Marriage.
CELEBRATION OF MASS IN MAIN ARENA
Main Celebrant & Homilist
H.E. Cardinal João Braz de Aviz, Prefect of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life.
Theme: Love endures all things: why strong marriages make stronger societies.
Major Panel 3:
Theme: Care for our Common Home: Why the Family Matters to the Future of our Planet.
Moderator: H.E. Cardinal Charles Maung Bo, SDB, Archbishop of Yangon, Myanmar.
Description: An interactive seminar based upon the themes in Laudato Si’ hosted by Trócaire (CARITAS Ireland). This seminar will comprise of stories, music, national and international speakers acknowledging the urgency of our environmental challenges and joining Pope Francis in calling for a new dialogue and vision for the environment and the future of our planet.
- Dr. Lorna Gold, Trócaire, Ireland
- Éamonn Meehan, Executive Director, Trócaire, Ireland
- Partners of Trócaire from Overseas
Individual Presentation 1:
Theme: Turning Technology to the Greater Good: Faith, Family & Technology.
Speaker: Dr Mary Aiken, Adjunct Associate Professor Geary Institute for Public Policy, UCD and Academic Advisor for Europol European Cybercrime Centre, Ireland.
Description: An interactive presentation on turning technology to the good in our world and in our homes.
Individual Presentation 2:
Theme: Grace Before Meals: Recipes to Strengthen Family Life.
Speaker: Fr Leo Patalinghug, Priest, Chef and Author, USA.
Description: Cooking Demonstration with Faith & Family theme.
Theme: Coping with Crises and Hurt in Marriage.
Moderator: Deirdre O’ Rawe, Director of ACCORD Ireland (North)
- Sallyann and Torbjonn Huss, Retrouvaille, Ireland
- Stephen Conway, Retrouvaille, South Africa
- Carlos Compoy Osset, Diocese of Toledo, Spain
Theme: Communication through Conflict: Skills to Help your Marriage Flourish.
Moderator: ACCORD Catholic Marriage Care Service.
Description: An interactive workshop on conflict resolution skills in marriage and family life.
Theme: Supporting our Teenagers in a Digital World.
Moderator: ACCORD Catholic Marriage Care Service
Panelists: An interactive workshop on supporting teenagers in their journey through relationships and sexuality in a digital age.
Theme: The Family of Families: The Experience of Catholic Families in Africa.
Facilitators: Representatives of the Aid to the Church in Need programme with Catholic families from Russia.
Description: Pope Francis, in Amoris Laetitia, describes the Church as the ‘Family of Families’. In this interactive workshop we listen to the stories of faith and family from Catholics in Africa, through the initiatives supported by the Pontifical Foundation, Aid to the Church in Need International.
Please note that this information is subject to change.