Posted On June, 22 - 2018
Press Release - Friday 22 June 2018 - Immediate
World Meeting of Families announces details of booking process for tickets for Knock and Phoenix Park events on 26 August 2018
- Ticketing FAQs for media included below
The World Meeting of Families 2018 has today announced details of the process for individuals and groups to book tickets for the WMOF2018 events in Knock Shrine and Phoenix Park on Sunday 26 August. It will not be possible to attend both venues on Sunday 26 August due to the timing of these events.
There will be no admission to either of these venues on the day without a ticket – all adults and children attending these events will need to have a ticket in advance. Tickets will be free and will be available to book from Monday 25th June on www.worldmeeting2018.ie.
At the time of booking there will be an invitation to make a voluntary contribution to the WMOF2018 to offset the costs of the event. This is optional and will have no impact on a person’s ability to access a ticket.
The World Meeting of Families 2018 is open to all. It is expected that many families, parish and diocesan groups will attend this historic event and will offer support to members of their group with accessibility requirements. There is an application process in place for those with accessibility requirements. [See FAQs for more information]
Tickets: Knock Shrine
Pope Francis will visit Knock Shrine on the morning of Sunday 26th August to pray for families and the WMOF2018. He will arrive to Knock Shrine at 9.45am where he will visit the Apparition Chapel and then give the Angelus address on the square in front of the Shrine. He will depart the Shrine at 10.45am.
There will be a capacity of 45,000 for Knock Shrine. Tickets for Knock will only be available through the online booking system on www.worldmeeting2018.ie.
Tickets for the Knock Shrine event will be printed and posted by 31 July to all those who have successfully booked via the website.
Those booking tickets must give an email address and details of where they will be travelling from on the morning of the event. This information will be used to inform the overall transport plan for the area on 26 August.
Tickets: Phoenix Park Closing Mass
The Closing Mass of the World Meeting of Families 2018 will take place at the Papal Cross in the heart of the Phoenix Park in Dublin on the afternoon of Sunday 26th August. The Mass will begin at 3.00pm.
The WMOF2018 will issue 500,000 tickets for the Mass in Phoenix Park. These tickets will only be available through the online application system on www.worldmeeting2018.ie.
Tickets for Phoenix Park will be issued by email as a ‘print at home’ ticket by 31 July. The tickets for Phoenix Park can only be offered in this format because it would be cost prohibitive to print and post this number of tickets due to the size and scale of the event.
Phoenix Park is one of the largest public city parks in Europe at 1,750 acres. Given the scale of this event and the strict Traffic Management plan that will be in operation, all routes into the park will be assigned to ticket holders in advance and will be colour coded. Each ticket will give you access via a single route and gate and ticket holders will not be permitted to change gate on the day. The gate used by a ticket holder to enter the Park will also be the one they use at the time of exiting the Phoenix Park at the end of the Mass.
Parish groups are invited to register for tickets for the WMOF2018 Closing Mass and for a parking slot for their hired private coach/bus. Parish group bookings need to be completed by a designated ‘Parish Leader’. All parish bookings will be verified with the parish and with the private coach or bus operator. Those travelling on the coach do not need to book separately for other tickets.
Plan your journey and mode of transport for Sunday 26 August
To assist all those interested in attending these events, new information has been published today by various agencies of the State regarding transport options available for both Knock Shrine and Phoenix Park. Transportation is a key aspect to these events, especially for the Phoenix Park Mass as it will inform attendees their assigned route to follow. We would ask all those planning to book a ticket to please read this helpful information: www.gov.ie/popeinireland
Partnership with tickets.ie
The World Meeting of Families is partnering with tickets.ie to provide the online ticket service for the WMOF2018 events. Tickets.ie are an Irish owned company who handle ticketing for thousands of events annually.
Notes to Editors:
Dublin, Ireland, has been chosen by Pope Francis to host the 9th World Meeting of Families from 21-26 August 2018, guided by the theme “The Gospel of the Family: Joy for the World”. Held every three years, this major international event brings together families from across the world to celebrate, pray and reflect upon the central importance of marriage and the family as the cornerstone of our lives, of society and of the Church. Whilst WMOF2018 will include exhibitions, cultural events and musical performances, events around the city, gestures of solidarity, it has at its heart the following key moments:
• Firstly, a National Opening of World Meeting of Families will take place simultaneously in the twenty-six dioceses on the island of Ireland on Tuesday 21 August;
• Secondly, from 22 to 24 August, a three-day Pastoral Congress will take place in the RDS, Dublin and will include entail a joyful and reflective programme of workshops, talks and discussions centred on the theme: “The Gospel of the Family: Joy for the World”. The Congress will also offer an engaging programme for young people to include faith and fun activities for children;
• Thirdly, a Festival of Families will be held on Saturday 25 August 2018 in Croke Park, Dublin. This will involve a cultural concert within a prayerful and joyful atmosphere, during which personal stories of faith will be shared by families, each representing the five continents. Pope Francis will be present for this event; and,
• Fourthly, the Closing Mass for WMOF2018. This is a solemn Eucharistic Celebration on Sunday 26 August which will involve thousands of pilgrims from Ireland and around the world in the Phoenix Park, Dublin. Pope Francis will be principal celebrant of this Mass.
For media contact:
World Meeting of Families 2018: Brenda Drumm 00 353 (0) 87 310 4444 and Sinéad Brennan 00 353 (0) 1 567 6844.
FAQs on WMOF2018 Tickets for Knock Shrine and Phoenix Park
1. When and where will tickets for Knock and Phoenix Park be available to book?
Tickets for Knock Shrine and the Phoenix Park will be available from Monday 25th June 2018. All tickets must be booked via the World Meeting of Families 2018 website -www.worldmeeting2018.ie.
2. What is the ticket issue for Knock Shrine and Phoenix Park?
- The ticket issue for Knock Shrine will be 45,000.
- The ticket issue for the Closing Mass in Phoenix Park will be 500,000.
3. Is there a separate process for booking as a group, family, individual, priest?
Yes, when you go to www.worldmeeting2018.ie you will be given the option to book as:
1. A Group coming on a private coach and applying for a coach parking permit
2. An individual booking or family booking
3. Clergy (bishops/priests)
4,. What is the limit on the number of tickets per single booking?
For Phoenix Park:
There is a limit of 12 tickets per booking for those who access the system by the individual registration. [People can repeat book if they require further tickets].
There is a limit of 8 coaches for those who are booking groups of people who will be travelling on a private coach and who are requesting coach parking permits.
For Knock Shrine:
There will be a limit of 8 tickets per booking.
5. How do I get my parish group booked for the Phoenix Park Mass?
We ask that groups who have already booked a coach or those who intend to book a coach to come into the ticket system via the group booking option. Once in this section the group leader will be able to book all their tickets for the Phoenix Park final Mass and book their coach parking permit for their entire group.
Important note: There is no need for those individuals going to the Mass via a pre booked place on a private coach to book their ticket separately as they will already be included in the group booking.
6. Will there be a transport plan in place for Knock and the Phoenix Park?
Yes, there will be a full transport plan in place for both venues. You will not be able to drive up to or park near the venue but there will be park and ride or park and walk facilities available. For more information on the transport options available for both venues, please see www.gov.ie/popeinireland
7. What special accessibility arrangements are in place for those who need supported access?
Given the unique scale of this event, the WMOF2018 is currently engaged with disability organisations in relation to the provision of supported access for those who would like to attend the event at Knock Shrine or the Closing Mass in the Phoenix Park. Subject to their advice and available space and resources, a limited number of supported access tickets will be available. If an applicant does not qualify for supported access, they will be entitled to a standard individual ticket.
The options that will be available are as follows:
• A space in a reserved section for one person and their carer. [Spaces here will be extremely limited]
• A space in one of the main corrals as part of a family or group.
8. Will my ticket be transferrable?
Tickets for Knock Shrine will be printed and will have the name of the person who made the booking on the ticket. These tickets are not transferrable.
Tickets for Phoenix Park will have a unique bar code and must have a verified email address associated with them. Tickets are transferrable within a group booking.
9. Will tickets be printed or sent by email?
Tickets for Knock Shrine will be printed and posted to those who have booked them.
Tickets for the Phoenix Park will be sent by email and will be print-at-home. The tickets for Phoenix park can only be offered as print at home because it would be cost prohibitive to print and post this number of tickets due to the size and scale of the event.
10. When will tickets be received?
At the time of booking you will receive an email to confirm that your booking has been successful and you will receive your tickets by 31st July.