Posted On February, 13 - 2018
World Meeting of Families 2018 encourages couples to share tokens of love with each other for St Valentine’s Day
The World Meeting of Families is inviting couples to share special tokens of love with a difference for Saint Valentine’s Day this year. Following Pope Francis’ calls to celebrate Saint Valentine’s Day in a more meaningful way, WMOF2018 is inviting couples to think beyond the traditional box of chocolates or bunch of flowers to tokens of real affection that will actually help them grow in their love.
In his document Amoris Laetitia (The Joy of Love), Pope Francis refers directly to Saint Valentine’s Day as an opportunity for couples to celebrate the importance of romantic love by gifting their time and attention to one another rather than simply relying on the more commercial approaches to the saint’s day. This is why, as part of the preparations for World Meeting of Families in Ireland in August, the World Meeting of Families 2018 are inviting individuals and couples to “Celebrate the Joy of Love this St Valentine’s Day” and to mark this day in a number of special ways.
WMOF2018 have produced a book of free gift tokens that people can give to their loved ones. This year’s tokens include invitations to share:
- A journey down memory lane – taking time to remember how we met
- A special meal cooked by me
- A technology free evening together
- Time together to pray
- A hand-in-hand walk together
The tokens (above) were introduced last year and proved really popular. They are being offered again this year in English and Irish with two new tokens included.
The WMOF2018 is asking couples to acknowledge how precious their time is together and asking them to pick up a book of tokens and a special card to go with them and to share these simple acts of love and kindness with each other.
WMOF2018 is also inviting people to visit the Shrine of Saint Valentine in Whitefriar Street Church in Dublin and to pray through Saint Valentine’s intercession to grow in the love they have already found. The tokens are free and are available in parishes across the country as part of the WMOF2018 ‘Amoris Let’s Talk Family! Let’s be Family!’ programme
Given that St Valentine’s Day falls on Ash Wednesday this year, it is a good a year as any to think outside the chocolate box!
Notes to editors:
- The books of tokens will be available in Whitefriar Street Church from 12 noon tomorrow, Tuesday 13 February.
- Watch: Engaged couple Anna and Seamus select their favourite St Valentine’s Gift Token from WMOF2018 https://www.icatholic.ie/wmof2018-st-valentines-gift-1/ All the tokens are available from www.amoris.ie
- Holy relics of Saint Valentine are interred in the Carmelite Church in Whitefriar Street, Dublin, Ireland. Saint Valentine, a priest in ancient Rome, is regarded as the patron saint of couples in love, preparing for marriage and of married life.
- The World Meeting of Families will take place in Dublin, Ireland, August 22-26, 2018. Pope Francis chose Dublin to host the World Meeting of Families 2018 and gave the international gathering the theme: “The Gospel of the Family: Joy for the World.” For more information see www.worldmeeting2018.ie
For media contact: Brenda Drumm, Media and Communications Manager, WMOF2018 00 353 (0) 87 310 4444.