Posted On June, 25 - 2018
Press Release – Monday 25 June 2018 - Immediate
Strong demand for tickets for World Meeting of Families 2018 events in Knock and Dublin
Knock Shrine event booked out
RDS Pastoral Congress event booked out
285,000 tickets booked for Papal Mass in Phoenix Park
The World Meeting of Families 2018 has today announced that a number of its events are fully booked due to an unprecedented demand for tickets.
At 5.00am this morning, 45,000 free tickets were released for Pope Francis’ visit to Knock Shrine as part of the WMOF2018. All tickets for this event were booked out by 9.12am this morning.
At the same time this morning 500,000 tickets for the WMOF2019 Closing Mass in the Phoenix Park also went live for booking. As of 5.00pm this afternoon, 285,000 tickets have been booked.
The WMOF2018 is confident that it has robust systems in place to check and validate all bookings received.
The WMOF2018 has also announced today that its Pastoral Congress, which is taking place in the RDS in Dublin from 22 – 24 August, is sold out. A total of 37,000 registrations have been received for the Congress which was a paid event [tickets were €38 per adult for a one day booking with all children under 18 free.] Registrations for the Pastoral Congress, which have been available since last June, indicate that people from 114 countries will be attending.
Speaking about the scale of today’s bookings, Father Timothy Bartlett, Secretary General of the WMOF2018 said that he is hugely encouraged by the response to all of the WMOF2018 events - those with Pope Francis and those that will take place before the Pope arrives to Ireland.
He said, “It is clear that what Pope Francis is saying about family, faith and society, is connecting with a wide range of people. We are working hard to make the WMOF2018 a joyful, welcoming and comfortable event for all those who wish to attend.
“While I know that many people will be disappointed that they have not managed to get tickets for Knock Shrine or for the RDS Pastoral Congress, I would encourage them to come to the Mass in Phoenix Park for a joyful celebration of faith and the good news of family in our lives. It will also be a memorable and historic occasion.”
Tickets for the WMOF2018 Closing Mass are still available to book on www.worldmeeting2018.ie.
Notes to Editors:
Dublin, Ireland, has been chosen by Pope Francis to host the 9th World Meeting of Families from 21-26 August 2018, guided by the theme “The Gospel of the Family: Joy for the World”. Held every three years, this major international event brings together families from across the world to celebrate, pray and reflect upon the central importance of marriage and the family as the cornerstone of our lives, of society and of the Church. Whilst WMOF2018 will include exhibitions, cultural events and musical performances, events around the city, gestures of solidarity, it has at its heart the following key moments:
- Firstly, a National Opening of World Meeting of Families will take place simultaneously in the twenty-six dioceses on the island of Ireland on Tuesday 21 August;
- Secondly, from 22 to 24 August, a three-day Pastoral Congress will take place in the RDS, Dublin and will include entail a joyful and reflective programme of workshops, talks and discussions centred on the theme: “The Gospel of the Family: Joy for the World”. The Congress will also offer an engaging programme for young people to include faith and fun activities for children;
- Thirdly, a Festival of Families will be held on Saturday 25 August 2018 in Croke Park, Dublin. This will involve a cultural concert within a prayerful and joyful atmosphere, during which personal stories of faith will be shared by families, each representing the five continents. Pope Francis will be present for this event; and,
- Fourthly, the Closing Mass for WMOF2018 which will take place at the Papal Cross in the heart of the Phoenix Park in Dublin on the afternoon of Sunday 26th August. The Mass will begin at 3.00pm. This is a solemn Eucharistic Celebration on Sunday 26 August which will involve thousands of pilgrims from Ireland and around the world in the Phoenix Park, Dublin. Pope Francis will be principal celebrant of this Mass. Tickets for Phoenix Park will be issued by email as a ‘print at home’ ticket by 31 July.
- Knock Shrine: Pope Francis will visit Knock Shrine on the morning of Sunday 26th August to pray for families and the WMOF2018. He will arrive to Knock Shrine at 9.45am where he will visit the Apparition Chapel and then give the Angelus address on the square in front of the Shrine. He will depart the Shrine at 10.45am. Tickets for the Knock Shrine event will be printed and posted by 10 August to all those who have successfully booked via the website.
- Transportation is a key aspect to these events, especially for the Phoenix Park Mass as it will inform attendees their assigned route to follow. We would ask all those who have booked a ticket to please read this helpful information: www.gov.ie/popeinireland
For media contact:
World Meeting of Families 2018: Brenda Drumm 00 353 (0) 87 310 4444.