Thousands of people will be travelling from very distant places to participate in World Meeting of Families 2018 (Dublin, 21-26 August 2018). Many would be unable to come if they also had to cover the cost of accommodation.
Do you have a spare room? Would you be willing to host a person, a couple or a family next August? Help us welcome visiting families to Ireland and have a home-from-home experience.
Accommodation for Pilgrims
Over the years, a tradition of hosting pilgrims has grown around the World Meeting of Families. The organisers of the World Meeting of Families 2018 are now actively seeking offers of accommodation for overseas pilgrims in family homes in the Dublin area, and particularly in areas which have a good bus or rail links to the City Centre.
Who would you have in your home?
The requests that we receive are from places like Peru, Ecuador, the Philippines and Bangladesh, for example. For pilgrims travelling from these distant places, travel costs are already quite significant. Many of them would be unable to come if they also had to cover the cost of their accommodation. Yet their presence here is an important expression of solidarity with us, coming as they do from countries which have a strong missionary connection with Ireland.
What would you be asked to do?
Broadly speaking, we hope that you might receive a pilgrim family, perhaps a couple and some children, or an individual pilgrim, into your home between Saturday 18th of August 2018 and Monday 27th August 2018, provide them with a simple clean bedroom and breakfast each day.
All pilgrims staying in hosted accommodation will have been referred to us by the national delegate of their home country.
Guidance for accommodation hosts
Please note the following guidance for hosts offering accommodation to pilgrims:
- Accommodation must be within easy reach of public transport connections which would provide reasonable access to Dublin City Centre.
- Depending on their journey, some pilgrims and their families may wish to arrive a few days before the WMOF2018 perhaps as early as Saturday 18th of August 2018 and stay until Monday 29th August 2018.
- The person offering their home (Host Family) must have the homeowner’s permission.
- The person offering their home must be registered as a Volunteer for WMOF2018 for Garda Vetting purposes.
- All adults in the home during the hosting time period must be Garda Vetted in line with our Child Protection and Safe Guarding policies.
- As part of the application process, each home would have a home visit from WMOF2018 to talk through what is required and to talk through any support needed.
- Please remember that even if you are accepted as a host family there is no guarantee that you will have a family/or pilgrim from any particular country.
If you wish to help us promote this initiative, feel free to: