“The Gospel of the Family: Joy for the World” is the theme chosen by Pope Francis for the 9th World Meeting of Families.
The theme will guide the programme for WMOF2018 and the preparatory Catechetical Programme that will lead up to the event. The theme is drawn from the two Apostolic Exhortations of Pope Francis: Evangelii Gaudium (The Joy of the Gospel) published in November 2013 and Amoris Laetitia (The Joy of Love) published in April 2016.
Amoris Laetitia is the fruit of a process of reflection led by Pope Francis on the situation of families in today’s world. As part of this reflection, he held two sessions of the Synod of Bishops: one on the situation of families across the world and the other on how to respond to the challenges facing family life today. Amoris Laetitia, published by Pope Francis, is the fruit of this Synodal process.
Some of the themes highlighted in Amoris Laetitia are:
- The love and joy of family is a light to the Church and to the world (AL Ch1).
- The family is a living reflection of the communion of love of the Triune God (AL Ch2).
- Christ bestows on marriage and the family the grace to be a prophetic witness to hope (AL Ch3).
- Through the Spirit, love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things (AL Ch4).
- Through marriage, love is fruitful in generating life and caring for others (AL Chs. 5 & 6).
- The Church is the family of families.
Pope Francis considers the family as central in the life of the Church.
It is in the family that the transmission and nourishing of faith has a prominent role; the receiving and giving of love; the growth in the body, mind and spirit of its members. The love among the family is called to be a reflection of God’s love.
Visit our Catechetical Programme to reflect more on the theme of WMOF2018 and prepare spiritually for this event.
“The joy of love experienced by families is also the joy of the Church.” – Pope Francis (Amoris Laetitia)