Welcome to the official website of World Meeting of Families 2018. We are currently working on a new multilingual and more comprehensive website which will be launched shortly. We are looking for volunteers to assist us in translating to various languages. If you would like to volunteer please email firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you!
The World Meeting of Families comes to Ireland!
Dublin, Ireland, has been chosen by Pope Francis to host the next World Meeting of Families in August 2018. Started by Saint John Paul II, and held every three years, this major world event celebrates family as the cornerstone of our lives, and the fundamental building block of society and the Church.
Families and others from all over the world will gather in Dublin from 21-26 August 2018 to celebrate their lives together, to share their experiences from different parts of the world, to reflect on the different challenges they face and to grow together in faith.
The event will consist of a joyful and reflective programme of workshops, talks and discussions for adults; an engaging and exciting programme for young people as well as faith and fun activities for children. WMOF2018 will include the daily celebration of Mass, a festival of families event, exhibitions, cultural events and musical performances, events around the city, gestures of solidarity with those in need, and much more. Visit our Programme section for more information.
World Meeting of Families is promoted by the Holy See’s Dicastery for Laity, the Family and Life. In September 2016, this new Dicastery brought together the Pontifical Council for the Laity, the Pontifical Council for the Family and the Pontifical Academy for Life. The Prefect of the new Dicastery is Dublin-born Cardinal-elect Kevin Joseph Farrell, previously Bishop of Dallas, Texas in the US.
The World Meeting of Families comes to Dublin
The WMOF is organised by a host diocese chosen by the Pope. For 2018, Pope Francis chose the Archdiocese of Dublin, in Ireland. To fulfil this task, the Archdiocese of Dublin has appointed a team to work with the families, young people, women and men, clergy, religious and others from all over Ireland who will be involved in the planning of the event. Father Timothy Bartlett has been appointed as Secretary General and Anne Griffin as General Manager for WMOF2018.
An official prayer, logo and hymn will be especially prepared for WMOF2018, as well as a catechetical programme to guide the journey of preparation for the event. This will draw largely from the Apostolic Exhortation Amoris Laetitia (The Joy of Love), published by Pope Francis in March 2016, following the Synods on the family held in 2014 and 2015.
A Papal Visit?
It is too early to know if Pope Francis will attend WMOF2018 in Ireland. What we do know is that he has said he would like to be with us.
His programme is normally announced just a few months prior to any event. Such a visit by Pope Francis would bring great joy to Irish Catholics and others, but the final decision will depend on many factors.
An A4 information sheet is available for download here
To be able to plan and deliver the World Meeting of Families 2018, a company limited by guarantee has been set up and registered in Ireland in 2016. The company’s registered name is World Meeting of Families 2018 Limited by Guarantee, registration number 590403.
In order to achieve this purpose, World Meeting of Families 2018 is committed to:
- Preparing and promoting a programme of catechesis and evangelisation in advance of the events in Ireland and around the world.
- Supporting the development of pastoral structures which will serve as a basis for ongoing faith development after World Meeting of Families 2018
- Designing, publishing and licensing corporate logo and such other materials as may be necessary to promote the World Meeting of Families 2018 and its main object;
- Arranging for the hire of venues, services, insurances, health and safety for the hosting of the various events;
- recruiting and training staff and volunteers who will undertake the preparation and execution of the World Meeting of Families and who will continue to offer service in the mission of the Church into the future;
- Providing material and spiritual services for those who participate in the World Meeting of Families; and
- Providing appropriate support for the arrangements to raise the funds necessary to meet the costs involved in carrying out these objectives.The Board of Directors is chaired by Archbishop Diarmuid Martin. The other directors are: Fr Timothy Bartlett, Mons. Paul Callan, Mr. Paul Corcoran, Bishop Francis Duffy, Mr Michael Duffy, Ms. Barbara Gilroy, Mons. Kieran McDermott, Mr. John McGouran, Mr. Declan McSweeney, Bishop Denis Nulty, Ms. Deirdre O’Rawe, Ms. Anne Young, Company Secretary Mr. Edward O’Connor. Registered office is: World Meeting of Families 2018, Holy Cross Diocesan Centre, Clonliffe Rd., Dublin 3, Ireland, Eir Code D03 P2E7.